Sycamore Legal founder David Tollen was cited and relied upon as an expert witness in a Massachusetts Appellate Tax Board decision, Akamai v. Commissioner of Revenue. David testified for Akamai, the prevailing party. More details about the December 2021 decision are available here.
In 2021, the American Bar Association (ABA) published the third edition of David’s The Tech Contracts Handbook. Consistently the #1 bestseller from the ABA IP Section, it has been used in multiple law schools.
Here are just a few examples of David’s speaking engagements (more available here):
- David recently spoke to the Law Subscribed podcast about AI and other technologies impacting contracting. His wide-ranging interview with host Matt Kerbis addresses the future of legal practice, the way major technologies reshaped historic societies, and related topics.
- In May 2023, David presented a webinar on similar topics in conjunction with Parley Pro: Our Future Jobs: AI & Other 21st Century Contracting Tools (Including Some From Before The 1st Century).
- Also in May 2023, David presented on The Six most Common Mistakes in SaaS Procurement at Procurement Foundry‘s Technology Sourcing Community Gathering in Chicago, Illinois.
- As he has for multiple years, David presented on cloud computing and data licensing at the annual Practicing Law Institute (PLI) conference, Advanced Licensing Agreements 2023, in January 2023.
- In April 2022, David presented on Key Terms in Cloud and Software Contracts: Intellectual Property, Commercial Terms, and Liability at the Tech Law Symposium of the Association of Corporate Counsel, Mountain West Chapter, in Salt Lake City, Utah.
David continued to teach a class, Advanced IT Industry Contracts, at U.C. Berkeley Law School.
And, through his separate training company, Tech Contracts Academy® LLC, David teaches Tech Contracts Master Classes™, a series of four distance learning classes on drafting and negotiating contracts about information technology. He also provides webinars and in-house training — all for lawyers and businesspeople. Please visit the company’s training page to learn more.
Updated July 29, 2023